Mersey Maritime celebrates its 20th anniversary with its biggest Mersey maritime industry awards to date at Liverpool Cathedral – see all the winners. Tony McDonough Reports
Mersey Maritime held its eighth annual awards at Liverpool Cathedral – an event which also celebrated its 20th anniversary.
Around 600 guests attended the Mersey Maritime Industry Awards, making it the biggest to date. And in the highlight of the evening, Gary Hodgson, former Managing Director of Port Logistics, Peel Ports Group, was surprised with the Maritime Ambassador Award.
Peel Ports has put Liverpool back in the top league of world ports with the construction and opening of the Liverpool2 container terminal. Gary played a key role in opening and delivering the project.
Mersey Maritime said it was ‘tremendously proud’ to mark Gary’s long and extensive career in the industry. He was also previously a member of the organization’s board of directors. D Morgan plc has decided on the company of the year award.
Preparations for the awards saw over 100 individual nominations on behalf of over 50 different companies and organisations.
READ MORE: Mersey Maritime raises £20,000 for the hive
Nominations were received from across the industry and its associated subsectors and went through the well-established evaluation process. This included an evaluation by a panel of experts and then an industry-wide vote.
More than 2,500 votes were cast, marking unprecedented interest from across the maritime sector.
A keynote address was delivered by the Minister of State for the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Nusrat Ghani. She told those gathered: ‘Mersey Maritime has been making a difference to the maritime industry on Merseyside and across the UK for 20 years.
Chris Shirling-Rooke, Managing Director of Mersey Maritime, said: “2022 marks a very special time in the life of Mersey Maritime.
“What better way for us to celebrate our 20 years of championing the industry than by bringing together hundreds of members of our maritime family for our biggest and most spectacular annual awards event yet.
“These awards give vital recognition to the world-class standards displayed in this region and reinforce our position as a global maritime center of excellence.
“Mersey Maritime was designed to create an ecosystem, defending and supporting one of the most diverse maritime regions in the world. We are incredibly proud of our role in facilitating a successful and internationally significant cluster.
Full list of winners:
- Best Newcomer Award, sponsored by Brookes Bell: CRL Freeport
- Company of the Year, sponsored by OPS Wind: D Morgan plc
- Diversity and Inclusion Award, sponsored by Chevron: Liverpool Sailors Center
- Employer of the Year, sponsored by Kays Medical: Maersk
- Environmental, Social and Governance Award, sponsored by Wirral Waters: Bibby Marine
- Global Performance Award, sponsored by BAE Systems: Polaris Media Management
- Logistics Solution of the Year, sponsored by Carmet Tug: CMA-CGM
- Maritime Prize 2050, sponsored by Liverpool John Moores University: Expleo Group
- Maritime Ambassador Award, sponsored by Beech Group: Gary Hodson
- Moving on the Mersey Award, sponsored by Royal HaskoningDHV: Liverpool Cruise
- Outstanding SME Performance Award, sponsored by Denholm UK Logistics: Walker Engineering
- Regional Offer of the Year, sponsored by Fort Recruitment: International Nautilus
- Rising Star Award, sponsored by the Royal Navy: Charlotte McCarthy of Stone Marine Shipcare
- Technology and Innovation Award, sponsored by MTC: RealSphere Eco World
Diamond sponsors for the event were BAE Systems, Chevron, Kays Medical and Liverpool John Moores University. The drinks reception sponsors were Hill Dickinson and the after party sponsor was D Morgan.
Category sponsors included: Beech Group, Brookes Bell, Carmet Tug, Denholm UK Logistics, Fort Recruitment, Manufacturing Technology Centre, OPS Wind, Royal HaskoningDHV, Royal Navy and Wirral Waters.